Solid Wood Murphy Beds
Learn About High Quality, Hardwood Murphy Beds
There’s no need to choose between free floor space and a good night’s sleep—a Murphy bed folds out for a restful slumber at night and then tucks away to reclaim space during the day.
Wall Beds are an innovative and stylish solution for entertaining guests without sacrificing floor space in your guest room or home office. If you want to make the most of the space in your home or you simply have to work with a small room, a solid wood murphy bed is the perfect solution. Today’s Murphy beds are comfortable, reliable, and can be found in upscale condos and houses and beautifully add a stylish, modern touch to your home’s décor. It looks great when it is not in use and is simple to use.
- Benefits of a Solid Wood Murphy Bed
- Common Misconceptions About Murphy Beds
- Steps to Buying the Right Solid Wood Murphy Bed For Your Bedroom
- Other Elements to Weigh When Picking Your Solid Wood Murphy Bed
- Why Consider Amish-Made Murphy Beds - High-Quality Guaranteed
- Our Picks for Amazing Wood Murphy Beds That Offer a Comfortable Sleep
Benefits of a Solid Wood Murphy Bed
If you’re furnishing a guest bedroom or even a small apartment, Murphy beds, also called wall beds, are an ideal space-saving solution. Wouldn’t you love to have the convenience of a comfortable guest room, without sacrificing valuable space in your home? That’s the advantage of a wall bed.
They can make a room multi-functional. True to their space-saving design, some Murphy beds include storage features to make them more convenient to use. The most common option is storage space along one or both sides of a wall-mounted bed. These come in the form of shelves, cabinets, and closets, and are useful for storing bulky bedding or guest items. Some murphy beds have desks, meaning that a home office can transform into a guest bedroom whenever that blue-moon traveler arrives.
With fluted columns topped with acanthus pilasters, the hardwood Brussels Wall Bed is a dream in French Country styling. Personalize your Amish wall bed today.
- Real wood construction
- Panel bed design
- Available in Full & Queen
- Piston lift mechanism
- Wall mounted support
- Locking bed mechanism
- Leather upholstered headboard
- Includes floating desk
- Six LED touch lights
- Six adjustable shelves
- Dovetailed storage drawers
- Soft close undermount slides
- Power outlet in floating desk
- Accepts 10" thick mattress
- Amish made in the USA
Working from home is a growing trend that shows no sign of slowing. But not everyone has the space for a separate office area and bedroom. By adding a floating desk to the traditional murphy bed, we’ve created a home office and comfortable sleep area that exist in the same square footage. The locking mechanism securely locks the bed inside the cabinet and prevents the bed from being lowered incorrectly.
Not only do our wall bed systems increase the functionality of a room, but they also look good doing it, too. Many of the Murphy beds are available in a wide variety of styles, finishes, and hardware options. Our custom wall bed systems are made to blend seamlessly with the existing décor.
Our classic Charlemagne Murphy Bed includes a bookcase on either side of your Twin, Full, or Queen size fold up bed for added storage and organization.
- Solid hardwood construction
- Twin, Full, or Queen available
- Effortless one hand lifting
- Securely locks in place
- Fits up to 12" thick mattress
- Four adjustable glass shelves
- Beveled glass cabinet doors
- Recessed lighting in bookcases
- Amish handmade in the USA
Common Misconceptions About Murphy Beds
Difficult to Use
Some people may be turned off by the idea of a Murphy bed because they believe it will be difficult to operate. As demonstrated by this wall bed video, opening and closing a Murphy bed is simple and quick.
Probably one of the biggest misconceptions about Murphy beds is that they can be equated to foldable beds or futons. Modern Murphy beds come with excellent support and can support standard mattresses just like any other bed frame.
Out of Style
While wall beds have been around for quite some time, this doesn’t mean they haven’t stylistically kept up with other furniture. Murphy beds have evolved over the years to best serve the modern homeowner. Murphy beds are more convenient than ever to install, and they come in a variety of sizes to fit your home’s needs.
These downsides may be true when it comes to cheaply built murphy beds. However, none of these concerns apply to expertly crafted, high-quality murphy beds made from solid wood. Despite the misconceptions, Murphy beds have remained a top choice for people looking to save space in their homes and apartments.
Steps to Buying the Right Solid Wood Murphy Bed For Your Bedroom
Measure, measure, measure.
Measure the designated space in the room to determine the optimal dimensions and consider how much space the murphy bed would take when folded up and folded down. Make sure to measure both the stored and expanded size of the Murphy bed to ensure there’s enough wall and floor space to fit your selection. Full and queen-size beds are a common and popular option because they provide enough space for two guests.
Assessing the space.
As you compare various wall beds, you’ll want to look at factors such as their size—both while folded up and down—as well as the overall design and any additional features. When measuring for a vertical bed, consider ceiling fixtures like lights and fans to make sure the bed has enough clearance when changing from storage to bed mode. Consider what other functions you’d want the murphy bed to serve - shelving, bookcase, desk, etc.
Where could you use a murphy bed?
- Home office – turn your guest room into an office
- Kid’s room – add instant storage and sleepover space
- Living room – entertainment center by day, bed by night
- Closet – even small spaces can accommodate a Murphy bed
- Rec room/basement – a teen hangout that includes a bed for sleepovers
Consider materials and design.
Just like any piece of furniture, Murphy beds can be made from a variety of materials. Solid wood is the most durable and long-lasting option. When considering a real wood wall bed, review the other types of wood grains in the space and choose a stain that goes well with the others. Our Amish artisans can make high-quality murphy beds using a variety of hardwoods.
Find the right mattress.
While you’re picking out the best Murphy bed for your family, you might also be wondering what mattress is recommended for a Murphy bed. Most solid wood wall beds do not include a mattress, so you’ll need to find one that’s 8 to 10 inches thick. Thickness dictates whether or not a mattress will fit within the dimensions of the Murphy bed’s cabinet once it is in the upright position.
Add complementing furnishings.
Other Elements to Weigh When Picking Your Solid Wood Murphy Bed
Wall beds usually require mounting the cabinet to the wall, so you’ll need the proper equipment to locate wall studs and secure the furniture. Most Murphy beds need to be secured to the wall for safety, but that might not be feasible if you’re in a rental or just don’t know where you want it. In these situations, a freestanding murphy bed like this Eastland Cube Wall Bed is the way to go. Unlike a traditional wall bed, this unit actually has a mattress that folds up, and when closed, it looks like a regular storage credenza.
Our real wood Eastland Cube Wall Bed has a clean, contemporary look that is perfect for home offices, urban lofts, or blending with any transitional decor.
- Solid hardwood construction
- Available in Full, Queen & King
- Tri-fold mattress included
- Mattress stores inside cube
- Freestanding cabinet unit
- Custom hardwood & finish
- Amish handmade to order
Vertical versus horizontal
Murphy beds come in vertical and horizontal orientations. The standard Murphy bed is generally mounted vertically on a wall in what looks like a built-in cabinet. These unique beds can be folded up so they are completely out of the way when not in use.
Depending on the amount of clearance you have in your room, a horizontal Murphy bed might be a better option than a vertical one. Horizontal Murphy Beds hide in plain sight and turn living rooms and wider spaces into a guest room in an instant. This orientation allows beds to fit into shorter cabinets, making these beds ideal for rooms with low ceilings.
A Murphy bed uses mechanisms designed to easily pull up and down without too much heavy lifting required. Countryside Amish Furniture’s wall beds are constructed with either a Piston Lift Mechanism or a Spring Lift Mechanism.
Piston Lift Mechanism:
- Powered by a gas cylinder with few moving parts.
- Requires less space to use than any other lift mechanism.
- Attaches to the wall with no floor mounting.
- Completely contained within the cabinet, and once set requires no adjustments.
- The locking mechanism prevents accidental bed lowering and locks the bed in the cabinet when closed.
- Counter-balanced; designed for daily use. The piston is not subject to metal fatigue or failure.
- Accommodates a standard 10” pillow top mattress.
Spring Lift Mechanism:
- Consists of several individual coils, requiring less space compared to older spring-drive systems.
- Attaches to wall with no floor mounting.
- Compact self-contained spring chambers integrate into the cabinet; once properly installed, require no adjustment.
- Static force holds the bed in the up position.
- High carbon steel springs eliminate spring fatigue.
- Requires adding or eliminating springs to balance the unit for the weight of the mattress.
- Accommodates a standard 10” pillow top mattress.
Why Consider Amish-Made Murphy Beds - High-Quality Guaranteed
Murphy beds from Countryside are handmade by skilled Amish woodworkers using hand-selected hardwoods in the heart of America. When you add a built-in wall bed to your home, you turn your loft, studio apartment, extra bedroom, or even your home office into a fully-functioning bedroom by night and versatile living space by day. Our custom wall bed cabinetry conceals your bed within a system of built-in cabinets that optimize your space for various distinct uses.
At Countryside Amish Furniture, saving space doesn’t have to mean sacrificing style. Our murphy beds come in a variety of styles ranging from contemporary to classic. Choose quality, durability, and safety for a handsome wall bed from our American-made collection that will last for years and years.