The Toughest Amish Furniture Finish: Catalyzed Conversion Varnish
Solid Wood Amish Furniture Finish
Wood finishes protect furniture. They prevent the real wood from rotting, guard against stains, and can even give a pop of color to the wood and grain pattern.
However, not all finishes are created equal.
Every piece of real wood furniture from Countryside is finished with a post-catalyst conversion varnish.
This is the most durable finish available for use on fine hardwoods.
It will resist moisture and damage from common household items, and unlike a less costly lacquer-based product, (which is softer and more susceptible to moisture damage) a catalyzed conversion varnish will provide durable protection for years.
Please keep in mind, an ultra-durable catalyzed conversion varnish requires a 30-day period after home installation, at a temperature of at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit, to cure completely. Much as a new car should not be waxed or polished for 30 days after painting, a catalyzed conversion varnish finish needs to be protected for its first 30 days.
• Limit direct sunlight exposure as much as possible. Over-exposure to direct sunlight will cause any finish to fade over time.
• Avoid excessive waxing as this will cause moisture from a glass to leave a white milky ring on the surface of the wood.
• Do NOT use cleaners containing bleach.
• Do NOT allow cleaners containing ammonia to come in contact with the furniture’s finish. Ammonia will discolor certain species, and cause a painted finish to yellow.
• Avoid excessive exposure to smoke as this will cause the finish to yellow.
• Generally a soft damp cloth followed by a dry cloth will be sufficient to clean the finish. If a cleaner is required use only a very mild soap and wipe dry.
• A high quality furniture polish may be used occasionally; apply with a soft cloth following manufacturer instructions.
Here’s how our finish measured up against chemical resistance tests conducted by the manufacturer:
Countryside’s state-of-the-art finishing process enables us to create finishes that are unmatched in beauty and durability. We appreciate your investment in fine, handmade Amish furniture and we want you to be confident in your purchase. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us.