Wheeled (Rolling) Kitchen Carts and Islands - Solid WoodBy Bailiegh Basham · December 15, 2022
A kitchen island can serve a number of needs, from acting as a cooking surface to doubling as a serving cart or extra dining space. Better yet, wheeled islands let you roll it from the kitchen to the dining room or anywhere else it can be of use. Below are examples of designs that provide both function and style, all of which are made-to-order with your wood and stain of choice, as well as with a catalyzed conversion varnish that reinforces the cart against moisture and physical knocks.
Our Top Rolling Kitchen Islands
Caldwell Mobile Kitchen Island - As the name implies, this island has wheels on its base which let it smoothly glide wherever, whenever. Plus, the caster wheels can lock, meaning they won’t roll when they shouldn’t. However, this is far from being its only beneficial feature. It also incorporates a handy rack for dishtowels, a drop-leaf top, and two modifiable shelves. Though this rolling kitchen island incorporates a farmhouse style, you can choose from multiple chic metal handle opinions for contemporary appeal.
Caldwell Server with Barstools - A close cousin of the above-mentioned rolling kitchen island is this wheeled cart with self-storing seating. It offers many of the same practical add-ons, such as dishtowel racks, locking wheels, and drop-leaf design. However, its slimmer dimensions of 36"W x 20 1/2"D x 36"H and compartment for unused stools enable it to accommodate smaller spaces.
Earle Reclaimed Beverage Cart - Caster wheels let you guide this cart to wherever you want to entertain guests. What’s more, it presents your beverages in drinkware with rustic good looks thanks to its one-of-a-kind reclaimed barnwood handsomely accented with black metal. Completing this rolling kitchen cart are four changeable shelves, a wine rack and stemware holder, and a soft close drawer.
Bergen Place Kitchen Island - This kitchen addition has it all: a thick butcher block top made from hard maple, elevated joinery techniques, decorative paneling, optional two-tone coloring, and handsome wood knobs fitting for a French Country or Farmhouse decor theme. Inside, you'll find deep pull-out shelves and roomy drawers to accommodate diverse storage needs. Plus, like the other rolling carts on this list, the Bergen Place Kitchen Island incorporates locking caster wheels. Take note, this piece comes with two different widths, 30” and 36”.
Demopolis Mobile Kitchen Island - A purposefully chosen stain and hardware have the power to make this next rolling kitchen island feel contemporary or traditional—the choice is yours. Regardless of your chosen aesthetic, you’ll benefit from nifty features like a dedicated knife block drawer, extending fruit baskets, and an eye-catching 2 1/2" hard maple edge grain top that can withstand the rigors of food prep for years to come. Caster wheels are affixed to the bottom, enabling you to roll this kitchen island wherever needed.
Bonners Ferry Kitchen Island - Wheels that provide smooth rolling yet lock on demand? You bet. A super thick maple top to endure food prep, meals, and whatever else you throw its way? Absolutely. Diverse storage capabilities, including a spice cabinet and pull-out baskets? For sure! Our point is that this rolling kitchen island can meet all your wants and needs, especially considering that you can choose the hardwood, stain, and the type of handles.
Haskell Kitchen Cart - This wheeled cart is lighter than many of the kitchen islands highlighted in this article due to its open shelving. However, don’t make the mistake of thinking its quality is any less, as it utilizes the same high-end hardwoods, varnishes, and advanced joinery techniques.
Pair natural wood tones with wooden knobs for a traditional look, or select bold stains and eye-catching knobs for a fresh, modern spin. Our Amish craftspeople will make this rolling kitchen cart exactly how you desire to best fit the aesthetic of your home.
Bergen Place Raised Panel Island - This 42” wide rolling kitchen island brings forth effortless shaker elegance while giving storage solutions you can wheel wherever it’s needed. Modify the interior shelves to optimally fit dishes, cookware, or dry ingredients, and the top full-extension drawer is perfect for cutware, utensils, or miscellaneous goods.
Burley Serving Cart - Simple yet nonetheless elegant, this rolling cart can easily transition from the kitchen to the dining room to the living room. Store an ice bucket with some glasses below, napkins in the pull-out drawer, and a selection of alcohol above; guests will be able to make themselves a new drink without having to walk back to the kitchen or crowd around a single bar.
Checklist of Features to Seek in Rolling Kitchen Islands
As the above selection of wheeled kitchen islands and carts demonstrates, they can come in diverse style themes, wood types, and themes. No matter your specific choice, make sure that your top candidate meets the following qualifications:
- The wheels should lock - Imagine trying to cut vegetables on top of a kitchen island, only to have it roll away. Or perhaps a guest accidentally nudges the cart, causing it to reel. Such scenarios are entirely avoidable if the wheels lock and unlock, putting you in control of when your kitchen island rolls.
- Materials should be high-end and sturdy - Assuming your kitchen island uses wood, opt for genuine hardwood compared to cheaper imitations, such as engineered woods, veneer, or particle board. This is because your rolling kitchen island will receive regular wear, from food prepped on top to the accidental spillage of liquids. Subpar wood products won’t hold up against such challenges.
- Think of how the rolling island or cart could visually align with other rooms in the house beyond the kitchen - The beauty of wheels is that it transports the cart with minimal effort, a feature you'll no doubt use time and time again. Perhaps it will provide extra storage in the dining room for drinkware and utensils, or be a part of a potluck Thanksgiving spread. If hosting a party, you may want to roll the kitchen cart onto the deck to double as a bar or an appetizer station. Our point? The stain you choose for your rolling kitchen island or cart will ideally complement your home's general decor rather than clash.
- Protective varnishes - Even hardwoods of the highest caliber will suffer over time if not shielded with a varnish of equal quality. It plays an important role in lessening the impact of dings, scratches, fluids, and harmful UV rays, ultimately preserving the integrity of your rolling kitchen island. For example, Countryside Amish Furniture uses a catalyzed conversion varnish which you can learn more about at this link.
- Adjustable shelves are super helpful - Kitchens are forever evolving in ways both big and small, whether it be the decor, new appliances, or shifting tastes and go-to recipes. The option to modify your rolling island’s interior shelves best prepares you for future changes to your storage needs.
Why Custom Order Rolling Kitchen Islands From Countryside Amish Furniture
A wheeled kitchen island is a furniture piece you’ll use almost every day, meaning that it requires high-end materials and expert-level construction to last. Rest assured, when you buy solid wood furniture from authentic Amish craftsmen, you’re guaranteed to receive a cart that will withstand the years to come.
Countryside Amish Furniture lets you choose the wood species, stain, and hardware for your rolling kitchen island; we even send you samples in advance so you can perfectly match the cart to your home’s decor. What’s more, we pair quality construction with hands-on customer service. We’re available to help you order the ideal kitchen island or cart, as well as keep you abreast of all status updates.