American Hardwoods & Amish Furniture

By Bailiegh Basham · November 27, 2015

American Hardwoods & Amish Furniture

Furniture Crafted from Sustainably Harvested Solid Wood

American hardwoods have been used to craft fine furniture for generations. They offer unmatched charm, durability, and design options that are simply not possible with laminates. Not only are American hardwoods beautiful, but they are also truly sustainable and green. The low carbon footprint of wood positions American hardwoods among the world’s most environmentally-friendly materials for furniture design and manufacturing.

We work exclusively with Amish furniture makers who source their lumber from North American forests.

American forests continue to be a trusted source for sustainably harvesting timber. Unlike imported wood substitute products, which are not regulated and therefore do not offer quality control standards, American hardwoods are carefully monitored. Because hardwood forests naturally regenerate themselves, the preferred method of harvesting is known as single-tree selection. According to the American Hardwood Information Center,

“A professional forester evaluates a forest and determines which trees are ready to harvest. This responsible forest management practice not only provides a sustaining supply of hardwood, but it also ensures the overall health of a thriving forest - including water quality, wildlife habitat, biodiversity, and recreational opportunities - and has allowed the volume of hardwood forests to more than double since the 1950's.”

Did you know that wood is the only major building material that is renewable and sustainable?

  • Hardwoods helps reduce energy consumption

  • Hardwoods can improve energy efficiency

  • Hardwood products store carbon

  • Hardwood products can be repurposed

  • Hardwoods are waste efficient

  • Hardwoods provide high quality and durability

Additionally, the vast majority of our American hardwood derives from privately owned forestry. According to the U.S. Forest Service National Woodland Owner Survey, of the 514 million acres of timberland in the U.S., Federal, State and other public owners account for 31 percent, while the remaining 69 percent is privately owned.


American Hardwood Facts

  • All wood doors, cabinets, flooring, molding and furniture store carbon dioxide.
  • Harvesting large mature trees in a hardwood forest allows sunlight reach the forest floor to stimulate new growth.
  • Wood represents 47 percent of all raw materials used in the United States. The energy used to produce wood products accounts for just 4 percent of the energy used to make all manufactured materials.
  • Approximately one-third of the continental United States is covered in forest land.
  • An acre of trees can remove about 13 tons of dust and gases from the atmosphere.
  • Each year, there are more hardwoods growing than harvested, lost to fire, lost to insects, and lost to disease.

At Countryside Amish Furniture, we work exclusively with solid wood and our expert Amish craftsmen still use many of the fine woodworking techniques considered standard in the 19th century. Each piece of fine furniture is built by hand, one piece at a time. Learn more about Countryside's Green furniture making process by reading Our Philosophy.

Author, Baileigh Basham

Bailiegh Basham is Lead Sales & Marketing Strategist at Countryside Amish Furniture. She's been a team member since 2014. Bailiegh is deeply passionate about furniture design and home decor.