10 Tips for Solid Wood Furniture Care
Fine Furniture Cleaning Tips and Guidelines
Your Countryside investment will last for generations if you take the time to learn how to care for your Amish handmade furniture. Our conversion varnish finish resists stains, moisture rings, scratches and abrasions; however, as with any quality possession, care should be taken to maintain your furniture.
1. Keep your handmade furniture away from radiators and heat vents and avoid prolonged periods of direct sunlight. If you must put furniture near an air duct, use a shield or guard to direct the heat away.
2. Extreme heat can damage the finish, so do not put hot objects directly on your solid wood furniture. Use a serving plate when serving hot foods. Always protect your table from hot pans and dishes, and look for hot pads or trivets that will not trap steam between your pan and the table.
3. Solid wood furniture prefers an environment with constant humidity and we recommend an environment with 35-45% relative humidity. This can be very challenging in homes without humidity control, but avoiding direct heat sources and sunlight will help.
4. Dust as often as you like with a clean, dry, soft cloth following the wood’s grain. For tougher spots, you can wipe it with a damp cloth.
5. Keep substances such as nail polish, nail polish remover, perfumes and aftershaves away from your furniture because these contain solvents or alcohols that can damage the surface.
6. Store table leaves as close as possible to the table itself. It is better to store dining room table leaves in an upstairs closet than in a damp basement or warm attic.
7. Avoid storing your furniture in any environment that is not temperature and humidity controlled. Also, if you must temporarily store your beautiful Amish furniture, look for a climate controlled storage space
8. Direct sunlight will darken your solid wood furniture over time and should be avoided or at least rotated through the sunny spot to keep the color uniform.
9. Because hardwoods are open grained, solid wood furniture will expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity. Care in controlling the furniture’s environment will help minimize minor cracking and warping that is the natural part of a wood’s character.
10. We recommend using coasters for drinks, but if a glass sweats simply wipe it up with a clean cloth.