Amish Chocolate Cake Recipe with Caramel Icing
Recipe for Amish Chocolate Cake with Caramel Icing
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (dissolved in 1 cup boiling water)
*If you do not have buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1/2 cup measure then fill with milk.
Caramel Icing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
1. Mix dry ingredients for chocolate cake.
2. Add eggs, shortening, and buttermilk to dry ingredients.
3. Beat well.
4. Add water and soda mixture a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Pour into greased 9x13 cake pan and bake at 350°.
6. Mix and bring the icing ingredients to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
7. Let boil until icing hardens in cold water, about 3 minutes.
8. Allow icing to cool 5 minutes before spreading onto cake.